I have had my book review blog for over a year now, but I only have 7 followers (and one of those is me!) So if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it. Please check out my blog and let me know what you think. Be brutally honest. What is wrong with it? How can it be better?
Thanks so much, Linda
First of all, I have to tell you that "Trash Can" is the best rating ever...made me smile!
Here's some more tips though...
* Go to www.thestorysiren.com and read through her "Dear Story Siren" posts. I did not know anything about networking or what should go on a book blog until I read through those. I can't stress enough how very useful her tips were.
* Post a page where you list all the books you've reviewed (Most people call this a Review Archive or Books Reviewed or something like that). I see your Reading List, but there is no explanation. Are these books to read or that you've read? If they are books you've reviewed you should make each entry into a link to the review. This will make it easier for new followers to read through your old posts.
* I agree that a header with a picture would be nice. Not only do they tell someone what you're site is about but also something about you and the style of your blog - fun, serious, classy, etc.
* I also agree about breaking up the reviews with something fun. Since your site seems pretty text heavy right now, if you could find one you like that involves pictures I think that would be nice (but that's just me)...
* Networking is great. Also if you are willing to review books for indie or small press authors and interview them they will almost always direct traffic your way (and sometimes even offer a giveaway which is another great networking tool because it gives you a chance to post your site on giveaway sites and in forums to advertise it). Just make a page with your review policy saying which types of books you like to read and a way to contact you and you may get some offers from authors.
I hope that helps! Here's my site if you want to get any more ideas...
Thank you for your ideas, they are very helpful.
I checked out your blog, and I love the concept. I also left you a comment.
I am now following you.
I just checked out your site and gotta tell you. I LOVE the layout. It looks terrific! I am like you, researching memes and blog hops and trying to get more followers. I am getting told the same thing as you...keep networking. Looks like it pays off. I am follower 18 for you :)
Thank you for your kind words. I checked out your blog and it looks great!
I appreciate the follow and I am following you now too!
I agree with the networking advice.
My blog only took off after I participated in an event called bloggiesta, which takes place twice a year and is dedicated to improving your blog). I met a lot of nice book bloggers there, mostly via twitter, and all of a sudden readers came, subscribers came etc.
There are a lot of possibilities to network, events like the above mentioned or blogfest, blog hop giveaways, general blog hops etc. Once people know your blog through these events they will come back for more.
Kathy, Bloggiesta is an event hosted by Maw Book Blogs http://blog.mawbooks.com/tag/bloggiesta/
It takes place twice a year and is all about connecting and improving your blog. There are several blogs hosting challenges re organizing your blog, doing better SEO, about statistics etc. etc. It is very interesting, useful and one meets a lot of new people. Most participants are on twitter and tweet all day long about their progress and chat. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the info, the bloggiesta sounds interesing, I am going to check it out. I also went onto your site and I liked the look of it, I also left you a comment.
I am now following you.
Thank you for your idea, I never thought of this but it is a good one. I also really like your blog, your reviews are well written and helpful. I left a comment for you.
I am not following you.
I like your reviews. My one suggestion would be to make it easier to see more of your reviews. Perhaps an archives widget or highlighted reviews or something.
I agree - you need to do some networking. You can join blog hops, facebook hops, goodreads is a great resource,
Another fun thing to do is giveaways. If networked, it can add hundreds of views to your site.
Good luck - I'm a new follower too!