I'm asking this question because my husband thinks I'm some freak of nature.

Yesterday I started the book Riding the Universe by Gaby Triana (267 pages) at about 4:30 in the afternoon and finished it by about 9:00 p.m. It was a good book!

Anyway, I know there are faster readers out there and it just made me curious...Are you a slow reader or a fast reader...how long does it usually take you to read a book?
I know that if I really like a book I read it fast but if I'm reading a book that is so-so then it can take me forever!
So comment away!!!

Views: 1769

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was just thinking aobut this question minutes before I logged on. I have to admit, I am a slow reader. The only book I managed to finish in 3 days was Mitch Albom's The Five people You Meet In Heaven. From that, he became one of my best authors.
I took speed reading classes (Evelyn Woods Reading Dynamics) while I was still in high school, so I read most books in a day and a half. Still, a bad book - one that is not properly edited - can take me a half-hour to get through just 3 or 4 pages! Those are the books you simply need to give up on. In college, I would literally read some very large textbooks - like The History of Western Civilization - between midnight and 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. Fortunately, life is no longer college/university...
LOL!
I try to read at least 100 pages a day, but if the book is boring, I'm slower. If the book is REALLY GOOD I can finish 400 pages in around 24 hours.
it entirely depends on the book, if its good, then not long at all. eg Twilight = 3.5 hours, Pride&Prejudice = 5
I can read all of the Harry Potters in 6 days, the first 2 in 1 day, then a day each for the others, My brother cant believe i dont skim read - it takes him forever to finish anything, if he does at all :)
I can be pretty fast. It depends. I have so many distractions at home it's a little hard to determine my speed. Also because I'm reading more than one book they take a little longer to finish.
If its a good read-- I can read a book pretty fast in a day. If I can't get into it...might take a couple days. If I reading it for a review or trying to make notes for me. I do take the time to wrap my head around the story and characters. It depends on the writing and how well I like the story.
I'm a fast reader. My husband also think I'm a freak of nature. I told him I can think of worse habits than reading....

If it's something I'm into I can read it in a day. Only reading when I wake up in the morning, and before I go to bed at night. But if I can't get into a book, it will take me forever.

I can read a 1,000 page book in a day.
I used to be a fast reader. I read Stephen King's The Stand (the unbridged edition) in 9 hours. I read two Harry Potter books over a weekend, and have to admit last fall while recovering from heart surgery I read the Twilight series (okay I did not finish book four) in three days. If the book really has my attention I can read it in a day or two. Normally though between work and school I am lucky to finish a book in two week.
When I was in high school, I took an Evelyn Wood reading course. While it helped a lot for work and school, I sometimes am very sad that the books end too quickly. This is especially true when i have really loved the characters. I feel as if I lose a friend that I was just starting to get to know. I read the whole 9 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris in about 9 days total. I miss her and can't wait until the next one comes out.
i love re-reading books! Especially once I've finished it for the first time, I'll almost automatically read it again, to enjoy it one more time...and I catch new things or I look out for new things. I'm a fast reader so it's no bigger to read it again...but that way I don't miss the characters!!
Wow, you folks are amazing. A book a day, 1,000 pages in a day! I'm extremely lucky if I can get through 100 oages in a day or knock off a book a week.

RSS

Need help?

Badge

Loading…

RSS

Author Interview – Thriller Edition

In preparation for ThrillerFest X, the annual conference of the International Thriller Writers, we interviewed four bestselling, award-winning authors… who also all happen to be book reviewers. These ITW members shared their unique perspectives on writing & reading book reviews, trends in the Thriller genre and community, and even shared a few stories that made us […]

The UK’s Top Ten Books… Coming in August 2015

The UK’s Top Ten Books… Coming in August 2015 Time was that August provided sad and meagre pickings in the publishing world, but over the last few years this has changed beyond belief. Far from worrying about there being no room for publicity, now many of the most talked-about books are being published in the […]

Cover Love June Edition

June Edition Summer is heating up, and so is our passion for beautiful covers! Here are some designs to kick off your summer with style and, in the case of YOUR top-loved cover this month (THE BOURBON KINGS by J.R. Ward), some romance, too. Click through to read the full description, request the title, and “Like” […]

© 2015   Created by Tarah Theoret.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service