Hey John. You can do several things. Please be advised that raising awareness about yourself and your books takes a lot of time and effort. It won't come overnight unless you have millions of $$$$ in marketing budget.
You can do some or all from the following:
1. Establish your blog. It can be a blog about your books, it can be mix (your books + your reviews.) Just try to make it simple. I'd say blog is better than a web site. Blog is more interactive and that's what you as an author need. You need to offer a chance for visitors to comment and engage you, not just to have a pretty portal. Check out what I did at http://iron2112fist.blogspot.com/
2. Make your blog and your blog posts easy to share. Include social media buttons so visitors who like your blog and blogposts can spread the word about it.
3. Here on Book Blogs click on the link "groups" and find whichever you like the most. Find active users (all users are listed) and contact them. There are many groups. Some are more active than others. Take that into consideration when joining a group.
4. Be present in social media. That means Facebook, Twitter, Google + ... However, don't expect spectacular results. Social media can bring you some benefits if you're patient and if you use more than one (I'd say you should use most if not all of them to bring you some results.)
5. As for selling self published book I would recommend a blog from fellow Book Blogger, Jade Kerrion. You should seriously read this because it will show you how much effort and time one must put to expect any results. This will also keep your expectations realistic.
This is the link:
Hope this helps a bit.
IronFist, Thank you for the information. I have started following you blog. I do have a blog up and running www.whyilovebooks.wordpress.com. Please follow me. When you look at the blog, if you have any advice on what I can do to add things to it, please let me know. I do have a follow button but it requires email to sign up. I would like a Google connect button like yours if that is possible or another follow button if you know how I can add one. I am on Facebook and Twitter. I believe you are following me on twitter. THANK YOU! :) I do know it will take time to build an audience and I have faith time will come. I just want to make sure I know a little bit about what I am doing and learning how to do it right. I work a full time job in which limits my time to write on here, but I will keep at it. I will check into the link you sent me for Jade Kerrion. Again, I appreciate all the information. Let me know any other advice I would appreciate it. Thank you very much! John
Hi John. IF's suggestion of the blog is a good promotional tool. Below are some others. I hope this helps. Thanks!
1. Partner with another blogger or writer (preferably in your genre) and see if they will host a giveaway. Rafflecopter is a great tool for this.
2. Join Shelfari and Goodreads. Host a giveaway on Goodreads.
3. Reach out to children's book clubs on Meetup.com, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
4. Check out stations on blogtalk rasio and see if anyone is seeking children authors, send them a pitch
5. Put together a press release and send to your local radio stations, put on your website, and blog
6. Check out Dan Poynter's self publishing guide. It has some great promotional tools.
Thank you very much for the information. I am really excited to start this journey. I am working full time and trying to be an author full time can get exhausting. I'm shooting for being an author full time. :)