I'm sure every avid reader out there has it. That one book or book series that they read when they were younger, like elementary/middle school age, and enjoyed a lot.

When I was younger I actually hated to read. Reading was the one chore I never wanted to do and I constituted that reading was a form of violation of my 8th amendment rights. Though as a ten year old I didn't say those exact words, but I still found reading to be the worst thing in the world.

I'm eighteen now and can't do anything BUT read. I actually can't sleep at night unless I get a hundred pages in, and then forget I need sleep and end up finishing the book or reading until five in the morning. But lately as the idea of college finally dawns on me and the fact that I'm going to have to be an "adult" responsible for loans, clothing, feeding myself, and an actual job I just want to sit down and read NANCY DREW.

Like I said before, everyone has that one book. For me it was Nancy Drew. She wasn't my hero exactly, but she was the bases for a lot of my own mystery novels that I'm writing. I started reading the original collection, THE NANCY DREW MYSTERIES, and just recently thought back to how I wanted to read all 175 books and only read to 26. I have this new craving to start picking up the series again, and really, why not? Sure, it's considered a children's book but this series is also the reason why I realized that I love reading. Why give something up that brings you joy? I might even consider reading the newer books about her for much older audience.

So, what was your childhood book and would you still read it now? Let me know.

Views: 127

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funny, I actually JUST did a post about this very topic! http://boookish.tumblr.com/post/9272389820/the-great-big-nostalgia-...

Probably my favorite book as a kid was Ann Rinaldi's A Break With Charity, because I loved historical fiction. I was also very into the Tomorrow, When the War Began series by John Marsden.

I'm going to show my age, but my favorite series was Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder...before they TV series ever came out (never did like the show)!

And I just commented on a blog that mentioned Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree!

The Faraway Tree, The Magic Wishing Chair, Mr. Pink Whistle, the goblins, fairies .... then the boarding school series like The Naughtiest Girl Is the Monitor and Malory Towers (though no longer Enid Blyton's) ... I just read and re-read them and played-pretend with my sisters and cousins.

I loved reading when I was very young. But when I was 9-11, I found reading very, very difficult all of a sudden. Pictures had disappeared. In place of them were paragraphs and paragraphs of descriptions. Too many words! I felt stupid for not being able to read as well as my friends do. So I stopped. (I called that time 'The years my imagination stopped.')

Luckily things worked out when I rekindled my love for reading through mysteries (Fear Street series), and I can't imagine how empty my life would be without reading. I've found so much solace and fire in books.

(Marybeth, I love posts like this. They remind us of what's passed but never lost. By the way, my elder sister loved the Nancy Drew series, too!)

I love to read Return to Red Castle by Dorothy Keddington....it's one of my comfort books.

Mandi Slack

Author of The Alias

*on Amazon kindle for 3.99

www.mandituckerslack.com

My comfort book number one has to be Pollyanna. I also love all the Ann of Green Gable books.

My fourth-grade teacher read us a book called ‘The Secret World of Og’ by Pierre Berton. It was pure magic. The story; several children discover a secret tunnel under their playhouse that leads to a hidden underground world.

I have searched for it high and low in my adult years, but it I couldn’t even find the title. Then I found it on Amazon last year and snapped it up. Don’t really know why; I don’t dare read it now. I don’t want to break that magic spell …

- Brian

Yes, I remember when I was young and I first read a book called the "Black Tanker" by Howard Pease,  Funny how a story can impress you so much that years later you still remember the name of the book and the author.

I loved Nancy Drew .  I don't think there is anything wrong with reading a series that you like. Last summer I actually

reread some of "Through the Looking Glass"  and I am not ashamed to admit it

www.bookaddict4real.com

I think that's awesome. As far as the series goes I don't have a favorite, I love the ones I've read equally.

My series was What Katy Did.  Then there were the Jeffrey Farnol novels. loved them. :))

http://katysreviewsandnews.blogspot.com/

http://sciencefiction-paranormal-katywalters.com

I have to say, I'm surprised by how many people still hold on to their comfort books. I guess you're never too old to read the books that bring you joy, even years afterwards.
mine was goosebumps. lol :) I love Fear Street too, my mom and I, we used to hoard Fear Street books then discuss our current reads. It's like having a book club session with my mom everytime, it was awesome! I truly believe those books brought us closer :)

RSS

Need help?

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Tricia.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service