In preparing for the February, 2012 release of my YA contemporary romantic fantasy VEILED VIRTUES by Muse It Up Publishing, I created a marketing plan that I would like to share, and if it is beneficial to anyone, please comment! Also, if you have other ideas, please let us know by sharing via a comment. Many of these are free!!! I will be posting other helpful information soon, so please friend / follow me to get the latest scoop!
1) Generate buzz / author recognition via author and/or book websites, blogging, facebook and twitter
2) Obtain or create a digital book cover and banner
3) Create a book trailer if possible and post to YouTube and elsewhere
4) Trade site and book links with other authors
5) Set up a blog tour
6) Obtain your ISBN
7) Help host blog tours / interview other authors on your site / post positive reviews for others
8) Order bling (postcards, business cards, etc.) from Vistaprint. Get on their mailing list, they send out free promotions all the time!
9) Free at Preditors and Editors: They will post a banner and link for first time authors for a month! Just email them.
10) Send out ARCs to sites that do reviews (Advance Reader Copies): In conjunction with a published review, provide excerpts, giveaways, and of course a banner with a link to where your book can be purchased. If you get postive reviews, make sure to ask the reviewer to post it on Amazon and wherever else your book is for sale. Here are some of the most popular, well-followed YA blog sites I found for book reviews:
11) Manicreaders.com: create an author page and post comments; they have contests authors can promote
12) Goddessfish.com - online promo vendor that seems reasonably priced.
13) Remember to update your site(s) with new links as they become available (link to the buy site when your book is ready for purchase; link to positive reviews, etc.)
14) Email all of your contacts about your release and ask that they forward it
15) Hit your local media! Radio stations, newspapers, magazines and even television!
16) Issue a press release - most below are free!
17) Check out BlogAds.com - you might find some cheap advertising spots!
18) Get on release lists: (the below are YA ones)
19) Throw a launch party at your favorite hang out
20) Check into local book festivals or events to see if you can have a table or be a speaker
21) Be a speaker at schools
22) Advertise on websites: (below are geared toward YA or fantasy). Prices range from $6 to $150 per month.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RELEASE!!! Jan