COMPREHENSIVE BOOK MARKETING PLAN
I have updated a post I did awhile back. I hope everyone finds it useful! Jan
Start 6-12 months ahead of publishing!!!
1) Join Social Networks, then start a presence (ie: post useful stuff!) and add connections through:
(and yes, start a spreadsheet with all of your usernames and passwords!)
2) Join Social Communities about books and writing (or your area of expertise if your book is non-fiction):
3) Start a blog and post, post, post!
4) Get a website devoted only to your book and you as an author
5) Start an online newspaper (free at paper.li and posts updates to Twitter)
6) Obtain or create a digital book cover and banner
7) Create a book trailer if possible and post to YouTube and elsewhere
SAMPLE: My Trailer for VEILED VIRTUES
8) Set up a blog tour (Start finding sites about 3 months prior to your release)
9) Find Reviewers: Request a review and let them know that you would also like to do an interview, giveaway or guest post. Email each potential reviewer the following:
Here are some of the most popular, well-followed YA blog sites I found for book reviews:
10) Help host blog tours / interview other authors on your site / post positive reviews for others
11) Order swag / bling (postcards, business cards, etc.) from Vistaprint. Get on their mailing list, they send out free promotions all the time!
12) Send out ARCs (Advance Reader Copies) to sites that you have set up to do reviews. In conjunction with a published review, provide excerpts, giveaways, and of course a banner with a link to where your book can be purchased. If you get postive reviews, make sure to ask the reviewer to post it on Amazon and wherever else your book is for sale.
AT RELEASE TIME:
13) Issue a press release - most below are free!
14) Trade site and book links with other authors
15) Hit your local media! Radio stations, newspapers, magazines and even television!
16) Go on your blog tour!! Share posts with others
17) Check out BlogAds.com - you might find some cheap advertising spots!
18) Get on release lists: (the below are YA ones)
19) Throw a launch party at your favorite hang out
20) Check into local book festivals or events to see if you can get a table or be a speaker
21) Be a speaker at schools
22) Advertise on websites: (below are geared toward YA or fantasy). Prices range from $6 to $150 per month.
So, print and keep this!!! Also, see my previous posts on expanded information on many of these topics.
Does anyone have any other points to add? GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR RELEASE!!! Jan